Sunday, October 25, 2009

First Week Post-Op

I am soar, swollen and slightly bruised. The pain has been bearable for the most part. I do feel a slight tugging when I sit up under the port sight..that kind of freaks me out. My surgery took a little over 4 hours, which is not the norm. I had a hiatel hernia that was stubborn to repair. Coming out of surgery in post op the nurses and staff were awesome, as soon as my eyes were open, they had me walk a few laps around recovery. They day went a little like this, at the hospital for admission at 9:15am, checked in by 10am, surgery was scheduled for 11am but I sat in pre-op until 1:15, the surgery before me ran long. I was in recovery by 5pm, then in my room at about 7:30pm. My hospital stay was extended a day do to a rapid heart rate. Surgery was on Monday I was sent home on Wednesday around 2:30pm. I was doing fine with the full fluids until yesterday, I actually was feeling slightly hungry!!!! This freaked me out a little. I was also craving tuna, chicken and vegetables!! Seeing as thou I have not eaten an actual solid in seven days, I guess that's to be expected. Better than craving cheetos! I am getting sick of full solids, baby prunes are the only thing I am suppose to have other than liquids. I did mash up a couple of table table spoons of plain baked green squash last night, as my boyfriend almost grabbed my mouth and made me spit it out!!! I also had what is comparable to a cheezit. I had an awful taste in my mouth from the last sip of a protein shake, I placed the cracker in and took a sip of water and let it dissolve...gross I know but I tasted a whole lot better than the protein sludge. I attempted to step foot on the scale this morning in hopes that liquids had inched me at least ten pounds down.....not even one pound down!!!!! Ok, I am majorly depressed at this point, not a pound lighter and my belly is bigger now than before surgery from all the swelling!!! Ugh!!! This is not what I expected, I am sure my expectations are unrealistic but come on, not even one pound!!!!WTF! On a positive note, I have been walking three to four times a day for about ten minutes, with the exception of yesterday because it was pouring. I have my first pre-op doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I have my list of questions ready. I will let you guys know how I make out then and will post some lovely pics of my swollen belly:)

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling you w/the Cheez-It comment. Did you read my blog about it? http://berlinsband.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-licked-it.html It's a GREAT laugh ;-) Glad you're doing well - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete